Saturday, May 14, 2011

I was on Shabbona Lake last evening

We got a break in the storms for a couple of hours yesterday. I didn't want to risk taking my boat out and having it rain another 5 inches while we are trying to trailer it so I fished from the shore.  I picked up my 10 year old son Matt from school and off we were to Shabbona for some early season crappie action in between storms.

One of my buddies (Jeff) was already there and he had the same idea that he didn't want to have his boat out ont he lake.

We fished in the no-motor zone over by what I call "crappie island." Jeff had hooked into a muskie using a Mini Mite just a few moments before I arrived so he was excited.

We caught a few crappies in the shallows by the island, but fishing was slow. Then we decided to move a bit east to the edge of the trees. There is a blown down tree by this edge that has held crappies in the early season for as long as I can remember.

We each caught several crappies up to 11 inches long and we managed to fill Jeff's 10 fish limit in a little over an hour. The wind was whipping around about 20 mph, the temperature was dropping rapidly, and it was raining off and on the whole time and we managed to catch 10 crappies that were over 9 inches long in a little over an hour, I think we did well considering the terrible conditions we were faced with.

No comments:

Post a Comment