Wednesday, March 2, 2011

LaSalle, Illinois River, more

I really hope that LaSalle Lake opens on March 16 without a hitch.

There are really 2 reasons that I like to fish on Lake LaSalle in March, and they are Largemouth Bass and Hybrid Stripers. This lake is absolutely full of both species of fish.

I have caught upwards of 100 bass on opening day before. The thing about LaSalle  is, how to you want to cathc bass? There are so many of them here that you can catch them pretty much anyway that you want to fish. It is incredible. I use this lake to get out and "get the cobwebs" out of my presentations so I will be sharp for the rest of the season. I love LaSalle.

Last year, opening day was a bit slow for largemouths, so we decided to troll for stripers. We found them up on a flat in 5 feet of water and caught them trolling using size 5 shad raps.

the rumor was, LaSalle is not going to open due to staffing shortages. Dale Bowman of the Sun Times assures his readers that the regional land manager has put in an emergency personell request so that there will be someone to open the lake on March 16. DAMN! Why do we have to put up with this crap. Our income taxes have been raised, gas prices are going through the roof, and now we are not giong to have LaSalle? That is too much for a guy to bear. If it doen't open, we should all drive our boats to springfield.

Ok, enough ranting.

Illinois River: The Illinois River has receded significantly. I am happy about this. I am going to put in at Bartos on Saturday and jig in that area. I think the saugers will be in the hole right by the boat club. I will let you know how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment